Praising in the Wind (Chill)

Lenten Reflection: Psalm 95

Oh come, let us sing to the LORD; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land. (Psalm 95:1-5 ESV)
How do we praise the God of all creation in a -15 wind chill? Even as I prayed for wisdom about how to get the dog to go outside, the news readers screamed danger: exposed skin, dehydration, slippery roads.

And then the most beautiful picture of Niagara Falls came across the screen. I turned and looked outside at the glowing street bright with sun and snow and salt and smiled.

If I declare that God is King above all gods, then I am declaring that God is more important than money worries and college stresses and broken cars and dryers. I am trusting God to comfort all those worrying about their children when I feel powerless to do so.  When I look at this wild and beautiful creation I know that worrying is trying to exert my power instead of accessing God's power. 

A negative 15 wind chill can blow a whole lot of sense into me -- there is absolutely nothing I can do to change it. I can only respond. I can scream and rant about the injustice of winter weather on those who can't afford heat or technical down jackets. Or, I can give God thanks and praise for the gifts I have, and share them even more widely.

I pray the psalms with thanks and praise! 

Comments

Popular Posts